This blog contains information on the industry of Digital Media Production. It identifies many trends, some of which are now established, and others which are just beginning. We can see the start of "Digital Content" happening. Many new forms of content are starting to appear-the so called "User Generated" content.

The purpose of this blog is to record and present trends in digital media production. Ideally, we would see that the market for Digital and/or reusable content was emerging, and that no-one had managed to satisfy this niche. However the findings here will be presented in as fair and neutral way for the reader to determine his or her own conclusions. Digital media technology is still developing rapidly, with no potential end in sight.

Monday, April 15, 2013

Interview With Digital Media Producer/Hip-Hop Producer Zo Slater



The following is an interview from Sonic EBooks with digital media and hip hop producer, Zo “the Magnificent” Slater , who wrote the e-book “Zo Slater's Book of Short Stories”  published by his company Domination Empire Productions. The book is a collection of short stories written by Zo Slater. Its release has become an underground cult classic and has caught the attention of underground and internet media outlets.

Sonic EBooks met up with Zo Slater in Beverly Hills promoting his book “Zo Slater’s Book of Short Stories”. We were able to interview him in his lavish studio apartment that’s worth $1.4 million. 



Sonic EBooks: Where are you from?

Zo Slater: Chi-Town. Chicago

Sonic EBooks: Tell us your latest news. What’s been going on with you lately?

Zo Slater: I’m working on a few projects. I’m currently working on my new instrumixtape “The Chi-Town Chronicles”. It’s a double album. Nothing but instrumentals produced by me. I also just signed a new hip hop artist to my label “Kidd Animator”.

Sonics EBooks: When did you begin writing?

Zo Slater: I’ve always been a writer. Ever since I was real young. I wrote my first book at like seven years old. It was a book about me growing up in the projects. I created the cover and everything.

Sonic EBooks: When did you first consider yourself a writer?

Zo Slater: Well I've got several books written that I haven’t published yet, but “The Book of Short Stories” is the first I put into the market.

Sonic EBooks: What inspired you to write the book?

Zo Slater: I wrote “The Book of Short Stories” in college. I had written a bunch of stories in class and decided to select the best ones to compile into a book. The stories in “The Book of Short Stories” were the best that I thought should be put into the book.

Sonic EBooks: Do you have a specific writing style?

Zo Slater: I have an unorthodox way of creating things anyway, whether its writing a book, creating music, making a video, you know, whatever. I don’t like to do things the traditional way.  I’m different. The stories in the book are like various situations or events someone out there has experienced or heard about. There’s only one science fiction story in it. The rest is reality based type stuff. I put the reader right in it. Right in the situation. Up close and personal. Even though the stories are short, you still walk away as if you read a whole book or even wishing it was more to read, hoping for a whole book.

Sonic EBooks: Is there a message in your stories that you want readers to get?

Zo Slater: There’s a message in each story. I mean there’s nothing wrong with writing for entertainment purposes, because that’s what I do, but I want to write fiction stories with a message. Real stuff. I’m influenced by Donald Goines’ books and other black authors. I like that gritty, real type stuff. That’s my style also. In your face realness.

Sonic EBook: Is the book based on your own experiences or based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

Zo Slater: In a way. I’m sure most people know people similar to characters in the book. I know a few people that you can say some characters in my book were based on.

SonicBooks: What books have most influenced your writing career?

Zo Slater:  I would say  Iceberg Slim’s Pimp, Richard Wright’s Black Boy, The Hardy Boys, and honestly in a crazy way, comic books. So as you see, my work is influenced from books and genres across the board. I try to combine many elements in my work to create something new.

Sonic EBooks: What books are you reading now?

Zo Slater: None at the present time. I’m too busy writing my own (laughing).

Sonic EBooks: What are your current projects?

Zo Slater:  I’m soon about to release my book “Start Your Own Digital Label” and after that I’m looking to release “How to Become a Self Made C.E.O”. Both are self improvement books, teaching the reader how to achieve success.  Start Your Own Digital Label deals with the future of the music industry and starting an internet based label and “How to Become a Self Made C.E.O.”deals with how to think and make the moves of a fortune 500 C.E.O. Both interesting subjects if you ask me.

Sonic EBooks: Name some entities that you feel supported you.

Zo Slater: I have to thank the staff at my company, Domination Empire Productions. We’re very much like 
family over there and they’ve been great in building the company and helping getting projects out to the people. I also would like to thank Warner Music Group. They’ve been very supportive and I got a deal and a few projects I’m working on over there. So stay tuned.

Sonic EBooks: Do you see writing as a career? Very much so. It’s what I do. It’s what I’m good at. I love to write. I love to create. I got a lot of books I’m planning to release real soon.

Sonic EBooks: If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your life?

Zo Slater: Yes and no. Yes, because I’m always trying to top myself and of course we all feel as if we can change the past we would’ve done some things differently. But I also believe in working with the hand that God deals you. So I have mixed feelings. But I’m kind of content. But I think my future is brighter.

Sonic EBooks: Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your life?

Zo Slater: Time management (laughing).I’m working on so many projects. Not just my own but for others. I been working behind the scenes for years and if people knew what it takes to produce stars, complete projects or to simply run a business it’s grueling. It’s liberating but grueling. I love it, but the work is intense. You got to go out and make stuff happen. It’s not like sitting back waiting on a paycheck. When you run your own company or try to earn a living in ways other than working a 9 to 5, you have to put in the work, energy and time or you won’t be successful. You won’t eat.

Sonic Ebooks: Who designed your cover?

Zo Slater: I did everything. From writing to design. I’m a true artist. I’m involved 95% in my projects. The other 5% is the others I have to do business with(laughing).

Sonic EBooks: Did you learn anything from being in the entertainment industry or business world and what was it?

Zo Slater: Yeah, I learned that there are not too many friends in the entertainment business and sometimes in business period. That’s why I learned how to do most things myself. Either people want to charge you extreme prices to get something done or people pretend to be your friends and make a bunch of empty promises or whatever.

Sonic EBooks: Do you have any advice for others?

Zo Slater: Believe in yourself because no one is going to believe in you like yourself. No one is going to pay you like you pay yourself. You determine your worth. You have to go out here and get it. Be self reliant and make your moves happen.

Sonic EBooks: Do you have anything specific that you want to say to the people?

Zo Slater: Yeah, to all my supporters, thanks. I really appreciate you all. To purchase “The Book of Short Stories” you can go to scribd.com. Don’t forget to check out my blog at www. zothemagnificent.blogspot and go to my website  Zo the Magnificent's Digital Biz for cool digital products like eBooks, software, music, just check it out. And oh yeah, be on the lookout for that new instrumixtape Chi town Chronicles. Hitting you sometime this year. Be on the lookout.

End of Interview



To purchase Zo Slater’s Book of Short Stories click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment